Thursday, September 20, 2012

Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables (L.M Montgomery)

★★★★★ (5/5)

Short Summary:

Anne of Green Gables is a jewel among classics. Anne's trials teach us all a lesson and her big words charm the most hardened heart. How an orphan girl who wasn't wanted by anybody turned out to be loved by all is still a wonder, but her story starts when two solitary elderly siblings, Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, wanted an orphan boy to work on the farm. Thanks to a fortunate mistake, spunky, red-headed, imaginative Anne is sent instead. She charms Matthew and brings Marilla to a point where she permits Anne to stay. Her problems, escapades, and interactions make her a an unforgettable character.

Key Take-Aways:

I was inspired by Anne's optimism in this book. She has many obstacles and is often cheerful in difficulty. I will always remember her often repeated quote: "That's the good thing about me, I never make the same mistake twice!" and the dry responses Marilla would make, based on the sad fact that there really a lot of mistakes that once can make anyway, so that doesn't account for anything.

Quotes: 

"Mrs. Hammond told me that God made my hair red on purpose and I've never cared for Him since."
-Anne Shirley

[Anne has just fallen from a roof]
Diana Barry: Just say one word and tell me if you're killed!
Anne Shirley: No... but I think I've been rendered unconscious.


No comments:

Post a Comment